{  Dining Out  }          {  Ingredients  }          {  Recipes  }          {  Blast from the Past  }            

Sunday, March 27, 2011

About this Blog

Welcome to our home! I'm excited you're here and hope you'll pull up a chair and stay awhile. I'm Eden, a recent bride, married this past October, now creating a home with my husband cubes.

Mood Board for Recipes for the Good Life
Mood Board for this blog created for a Blogging Your Way assignment

When I think of home, I think of my mom's kitchen and the home I grew up in. Every morning my mom woke us up with breakfast. She sent us on our way with a packed lunch. And each night, she brought us together for family dinners. Most nights my mom made dinner; at least once a week we got to go out to dinner.

I want this blog to reflect the sights, sounds, and smells of my mom's kitchen where, after school, I did my homework at the dining room table while snacking on freshly made baked goods, and on weekends, I helped my mom make breakfast or bake a cake.

My parents were married in the late 1960s, which meant their cookbooks, small appliances, cookware, and dishes were bright and simple. We didn't have a microwave in the house until I returned from college and left mine there. The home cubes and I are building has nods to the past, retro kitchenware and vintage cookbooks. We've accented it with modern conveniences such as a rice cooker, a handheld immersion blender, a food processor, and a variety of other gadgets.

On this blog during the week, I share recipes, cookbooks and kitchenware from the past that I love, reviews of places we've eaten at, and guilty pleasures. Occasionally on the weekend, I'll reveal what gadgets, decor, or spaces I'm dreaming of.

Everyone was always welcome in my mom's kitchen and she never let a soul go away hungry. Here you'll find the same hospitality with a modern retro twist. Enjoy!

Credits
Design of this blog was inspired by The Particular Cook's Cook Book from Borden's Evaporated Milk (purchased from Sugar and Meringue (Etsy)) and uses the Watermark template from Blogger.com as its starting point. I created all of the images using Adobe Photoshop C3. Unless noted otherwise all design and writing are done by me - Eden Hensley Silverstein.

In a nod to our 10/10/10 wedding, the logo is typeset in Park Avenue and Bodidota Regular, two of the fonts used in our wedding stationery. The handwriting font featured in inspiration notecards is CK Ali's Handwriting Free Font designed by Ali Edwards, spotted on Creature Comforts.

Focus and direction of this blog were influenced by Blogging Your Way, a class co-taught by Holly Becker of decor8 and Leslie Shewring of A Creative Mint. If you're curious about the evolution (aka revitalization) of this blog, these posts may be of interest:
Currently we're hosting this blog on Blogger.com.

Attribution
When sharing an idea I always try to credit the person(s) responsible for it, as well as how I found it (blog, website, store window, etc.). If I've incorrectly credited an image or you would like your image removed, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Advertising
Unless noted, neither my husband nor I have received compensation for products we've reviewed or restaurants we've dined at. We do participate in Google AdSense, receiving a small referral fee when you click through an ad.

As of June 29th, Amazon decided to terminate its Amazon Associates Program in California. Any Amazon links are historical or represent products that I own or believe in. I do not receive any compensation when you click through on the link or purchase the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...