{  Dining Out  }          {  Ingredients  }          {  Recipes  }          {  Blast from the Past  }            

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What I Crave: Salt & Vinegar Chips

I love almost any food if 1) it's salty, 2) has a touch of vinegar, and 3) is fried. Case in point? My favorite comfort food - French Fries with Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce - the perfect bite delivering salty, vinegary, and fried goodness.

So last night when I wandered in to Trader Joe's after work, grocery shopping while hungry, I was excited to see a healthier version of one of my favorites - Salt & Vinegar chips.
Trader Joe's Gluten Free Baked Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips
Short Take: Two Thumbs Way Down on Trader Joe's Baked Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips
They claim they take care to ensure that each bite is the "perfect bite." Now I'm beginning to agree with a friend's philosophy about how manufacturers get you to wolf down snack foods. Her belief is that there is maybe 1 or 2 perfectly seasoned, i.e. salty, chips in a bag. The reason? Because you taste a few chips that aren't salty and keep thinking the next chip will be the one. When it comes to these chips from Trader Joe's - at least the bag I purchased - she's dead on. Maybe every ten chips, I encountered a chip that was both salty and vinegary. For the most part I had chips with no seasoning and a few chips with just vinegar. In a bag, maybe less than a handful were the "perfect" bite. Generally I'm impressed with Trader Joe's offerings; this was one instance where I think they need to go back to the drawing board.

My husband didn't believe me that these were arguably the worst chips I'd ever eaten. I was all for throwing out the remaining chips (not that there were many left by this point). His first bite - a little on the sweet side but not bad. I invite him to try another. The second bite - free of seasoning. Verdict? Horrible.

I think I'm going to need to go back to Bev Mo! for Boulder Canyon Kettle Chips, Malt Vinegar & Sea Salt chips. They're absolutely yummy. (I'll definitely be ordering some in bulk from Amazon for Burning Man.)

Have you found any Baked snacks that you like?

Bon Apetit!
Eden
 
Credits: All images taken by Eden Hensley Silverstein for Recipes for the Good Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...